the Global Dialogue
This plan is to be implemented by the Facilitator, with guidance from the Advisory Group, and subject to decisions made by Members of the Global Dialogue at the time of the decision. A Member is a national government that has formally communicated to the Facilitator its support for the Global Dialogue. The Advisory Group is composed of selected countries from the key regions of the world. The Action Plan also includes a proposed timeline.
The Facilitator for the process leading to the Inaugural Meeting as well as the relationship between the Facilitator and the participating countries will have been identified (October 2002).
1. Arrange a Preparatory Meeting (March–April 2003)
This first meeting aims to bring together Members to:
- Review the preparations for the Inaugural Meeting;
- Identify the proposed elements of the Global Dialogue that are the object of consensus;
- Identify the proposed elements of the Global Dialogue that need further work to facilitate consensus at the time of the Inaugural Meeting.
Actions to be taken for arranging the Preparatory Meeting:
- Consultations to determine location and date of the Preparatory Meeting (November-December 2002);
- Initiate discussions with other sector activities or organizations to explore the role they may wish to play in the Global Dialogue (November 2002 and on);
- Develop criteria for participation at the Preparatory Meeting and possible status of different participants, e.g. national governments, IGOs, NGOs, other sector organizations, etc. (November–December 2002)
- Develop an agenda and rules of procedures for the Preparatory Meeting (November–December 2002)
- Develop draft documents on the elements of the Global Dialogue for consideration at the Preparatory Meeting, (November 2002–January 2003)
- Circulate for decision by Members the proposed criteria for participation, agenda and rules of procedures for the Preparatory Meeting (January 2003)
- Circulate to Member for their comments the draft documents to be considered at the Preparatory Meeting (January–February 2003)
- Identify funding needs for participants (January–February 2003)
- Finalize travel arrangements for participants (February–March 2003)
2. Arrange the Inaugural Meeting (November 2003)
This meeting is aimed at launching the Global Dialogue
Actions to be taken:
- Determine location and date of meeting (January 2003);
- Review outcome of the Preparatory Meeting to revise documents for decision at the Inaugural Meeting by the facilitator, including consultation with Members to resolve outstanding issues (May–July 2003);
- Circulate, for comments by Members, agenda and revised documents for decision at the Inaugural Meeting (August–September 2003);
- Identify funding needs for participants (July–August- 2003)
- Finalize travel arrangements for participants (September–October 2003)
- Prepare and circulate the final version of documents to be tabled at the Inaugural Meeting (September–October 2003)
The Inaugural Meeting will mark the end of this preparatory Action Plan. Activity will continue based on the outcome of the Inaugural Meeting.
This document is available in both PDF and .doc formats.
In PDF format:
In .doc format: