Enlarging the support base for the Global Dialogue
Action plan to be carried out with the support of regional supporting countries and proposed timing.
1. Identify the countries to be the primary targets for visits aimed at their participation in the Global Dialogue (October 2002)
Criteria for selecting countries for visits:
- Regional importance and influence, i.e. other local countries are likely to follow their lead;
- Importance of mining/metals sector;
- Most likely to be receptive to participation.
2. Visit of the targeted countries (November 2002)
Arrange visits with representatives from the facilitator and the regional supporting country, including representatives from the local Missions
- Identify the key contacts (key Ministries, appropriate level of representations, etc. Central agencies should be included as targets for meetings; they are likely to be involved in deciding country support and their involvement will help reinforce the political influence of the national Mines Ministry with the central agencies. )
- Provide initial package of information
- Plan visit of primary targets (2-4 at a time)
- The visit
3. Assessment of the results of the visits (December 2002)
4. Representations to other countries in the region and follow-up to visits (December 2002 and January 2003)
5. Development of follow-up action plan if necessary (January 2003)
Travel expenses for the regional supporting country will be covered by the facilitator (Canada).