2016 IGF Annual General Meeting Welcome Kit
This welcome kit has been prepared to provide you with some orientation and logistical information for your visit to Geneva and the United Nations premises. We hope that it will be useful and assist you during your stay.
The Geneva International Airport is located near the city centre. For participants staying in the centre of Geneva, it is recommended that you take the train to Gare Cornavin (Geneva’s main train station). As a passenger arriving on an international flight, you may qualify for a free train ticket (80 minutes for public transport in Zone 10) inside the baggage claim area.
Please note that if you leave the baggage claim area before obtaining your free ticket, you cannot return—so please remember to get this before going through customs. A photo of the ticket machine is below for your reference.
All trains departing from Geneva International Airport pass through Geneva central station—Cornavin. Therefore, you can take the next available train. The travel time via train from the airport to Cornavin is approximately 7 minutes.
If you would prefer to take public transport directly from the airport to the UN premises, we recommend you board the No. 5 bus toward “Thônex-Vallard” and disembark at the “Nations” stop. The journey takes approximately 10 minutes.
Taxis are also available at the arrivals level of the airport.
The meeting will take place at the premises of the United Nations of Geneva, also known as the Palais des Nations. The Palais des Nations is located near the centre of Geneva. This is the exact address:
Palais des Nations
Avenue de la Paix 14, 1211 Genève 10
Tel: +41 (0) 22 917 1234
The Palais des Nations is well connected to an efficient and reliable public transport system—buses, trams and taxis are readily available. Kindly note that you must enter the Palais des Nation through the UN Pregny Gate.
- From the main bus/rail station—Gare Cornavin—you may take the tram No. 15 toward “Nations” and get off at the terminus by the Place des Nations, where you can see the Broken Chair. You will need to walk 5–10 minutes up Avenue de la Paix to reach the Pregny Gate.
- Alternatively, you can take the No. 8 bus and get off at the stop “Appia.” The Pregny Gate is across the road from the bus stop.
- From the airport, take the bus No. 5 toward Thônex-Vallard and get off at “Nations” stop. The journey is about 10 minutes. You will need to walk 5–10 minutes up Avenue de la Paix to reach the Pregny Gate.
For more information on public transport within Geneva, please visit: http://www.tpg.ch/fr/web/guest
In order to attend the meetings, you will need to enter the Palais des Nations via the Pregny Gate. The Pregny Gate is located along Route du Pregny on the North side of the Palais des Nations.
Please note that you are required to bring a passport or national identity card which must be presented to Security at the Pregny Gate. Due to the existing security measures in force, participants are strongly advised to arrive early, as some delays can be expected.
The Security Service is open daily from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (non-stop).
To facilitate access to the premises for persons with disabilities, priority access is automatically provided upon arrival at the Pregny Gate. After passing through the priority lane, Security Officers will issue a special badge for persons with disabilities that allows them to open the door that is accessible through the elevator on the side of the gate. Security will also provide a map of the Palais, which clearly indicates accessible doors, elevators and restrooms.
The IGF Annual General Meeting will be taking place in Room XXVI of the E building. Once you have passed through security, follow the pathway to the left towards the E building. The E Building is the large grey—see photo below. Enter through the main door (door 40). Note: you will now be on the 2nd floor—and take the stairs/elevator down to the first floor. Room XXVI will be indicated with IGF posters.
Food and Beverages
There are several choices for food and beverages in the UN. The two closest are:
- The UN Pasta Corner: The Bar Serpent offers you coffee, pastries, sandwiches and salads. In the corner of the Bar Serpent you will find the Pasta Bar serving a wide range of pasta dishes. Both are conveniently located next to the conference room on the first floor.
- The UN Cafétéria is open to participants as well as UN Staff. You will find a full range of meals and drinks. It is located on the ground floor, in the A building. The “Cafétéria” signs will guide you from the Meeting Room XXV.
- The Bar Serpent offers you coffees, pastries, sandwiches and salads. It is conveniently located next to the conference room.
- UN Delegates Restaurant – 8th floor A Building. A la carte menus are available. It is necessary to make an advance reservation. – telephone: +41 22 917 3588
Currency change and ATM
A UBS bank is available to change money (euros, Swiss francs and dollars) from 8.30 am to 12.30 pm and 1.30 pm to 5.00 pm, on the 2nd floor of the E Building. From the meeting room take the stairs/elevators and follow the “Bank” signs.
The Palais des Nations is a Wi-Fi zone and Wi-Fi is available in most areas of the premises, allowing you to access free Internet. There will also be free Internet access provided in the Meeting Room.
A free access cybercafé is available close to the Serpent Bar. It will give you the opportunity to use the available computers to access the Internet and use the most common software.
Shopping and souvenirs
Several shops sell UN branded souvenirs, postcards and books. You can find the main shop, in the main—2nd floor of the E building—near the main entrance.
There are other facilities such as a post office, a newsagent, SAFI available in the Palais des Nations. Please refer to the above map to locate them.
The UNOG Medical Service is located in the basement of Building S, near door S2, and is open from 8 am to 5 pm.
Lost and Found
The UNOG Lost and Found office collects all items that are handed in. For inquiries, please call +41 (0)22 917 1948.
You may contact the following companies should you need to book a taxi:
- Taxi company 1: + 41 (0) 22 33 141 33
- Taxi company 2: + 41 (0) 22 731 41 41
Please note that taxis are not permitted inside the UN premises. They will drop off/pick up at the Pregny gate only.