Representatives from eight countries attended a week-long IGF workshop on mining value chain optimization organized by the West African Economic and Monetary Union (UEMOA) in Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso.
Burkina Faso’s Minister of Mining Oumarou Idani and UEMOA commissioner for food security, agriculture, mining and environment Jonas Gbian led the opening session on September 18, 2017, which was attended by 32 participants.
The workshop covered a wide range of topics addressing how to optimize the financial benefits of mining including:
- Local employment and local provision of goods and services
- The importance of regional collaboration
- The impact of automation on local content policies
- Infrastructure planning and negotiating conditions of access by third parties
- Opportunities for financing sustainable infrastructure
- Local processing
- How international treaties can restrict performance requirements
More details are available in the meeting agenda (in French) and will be provided in a forthcoming meeting report.